I love photography! I take most of my own photos for my blogs and have enjoyed it since I was a kid.
My kids have seen my love for photography and of course they want to participate.
My son broke one of my first mirrorless cameras a few years ago when he was a tiny toddler. Once that incident occurred I knew I needed to get my children their own cameras so they would stop messing with mine.
The first to get her own camera was my oldest daughter when she was around five. Since then we have bought a few more for the other kids to share.
What makes a camera great for kids? In my opinion it's being easy to use, durable, and fun. If a camera is easy and intuitive for children it's much more fun for everyone in the family.
My favorite kids camera
My absolute favorite first camera for a young kid is any of the VTech kids cameras.
We started with the VTech KidiZoom Camera in the Pix version.
- Take real digital photographs with the durable Kidizoom camera Pix by VTech; real 2.0 Mega pixels camera; 4x digital zoom; frustration free packaging means it comes easier to open in a plain brown box
- The kid-friendly Kidizoom camera Pix includes all the tools that budding photographers want in a digital camera; durable design protects from drops and tumbles
- Selfie mode Detects your face and automatically takes the perfect picture; four built-in games add to the fun; includes a video recorder and Voice recorder for more Creative ways to play
- Fun photo collage templates in addition to static and animated photo effects enhance your pictures; more than 35 fun photo effects and 4 Creative apps; connect to your computer to download all of your creations (micro USB cable sold separately)
- Built-in memory and micro SD card slot for memory expansion (micro SD card sold separately); requires 4 AA batteries (not included); intended for ages 3 to 8 years
We have since also purchased this one and passed the original down to my toddler - VTech KidiZoom Duo DX Digital Selfie Camera with MP3 Player.
This one is a little more advanced than the one above. It says it goes up to age 9 and my 8 year old is still happy with it.
- Dual high-resolution cameras give high-quality results. Take great shots with the 5 megapixel front-facing and 2 megapixel rear-facing cameras. Transfer and listen to your favorite music with the built-in MP3 player
- Be creative! Use live face filters to put on a dog, cat or pirate mask, play with photo effects and add fun frames and borders
- Real-time augmented reality (AR) games encourage problem-solving as kids use the camera and their movements to hunt for hidden monsters in the real world
- Easy-to-hold camera with a cool design that combines style with kid-friendly durability
- Camera is not rechargeable, the included micro USB cable is for file transferring and not for charging. Intended for ages 3-9 years. Requires 4 AA batteries. Batteries included for demo purposes only. New batteries recommended for regular use. Product Dimensions 6. 5" X 3. 5" X 2. 3"
An instant camera is also super fun for kids
I have the Fujifilm Instax Mini instant film camera and my kids LOVE it!
You can find my version here but there are many fun colors and types. Some print square pictures and others print rectangles.
Kids love being able to see their results instantly and it is a ton of fun for them to play and explore with their own instant camera.
You do have to buy film so that is something to keep in mind. These cameras have a rechargeable battery so that is nice. The one negative about the VTech for me is having to replace batteries.
- Automatically detects the brightness of the surrounding and adjusts the amount of flash and shutter speed to optimize photo quality
- Double exposure mode 2 images are produced on 1 film sheet by pressing the shutter twice; Shutter release: Programmed electronic shutter release, 1.8 - 1/400 sec shutter speeds
- Bulb mode the shutter remains open while the shutter button is depressed (10 seconds maximum) and a light trail can be photographed
- Macro mode short distance photography as close as 30 to 60 cm; Lens: Move in or out type lens, 2 components, 2 elements, f=60mm, F=12.7
- Kids mode suitable for photographing kids, pets and other fast moving subjects due to a fast shutter speed
An instant camera, or an easy to use VTech kids camera make great first cameras for children.
I have tried giving them one of my older point and shoot cameras in the past and they needed way too much help with operation to make it fun.
I think starting young children off with an easy to use and engaging first camera is the way to go. Instant or digital, your choice!
Please let me know if you have any questions about either of these cameras.
Monday 25th of January 2021
I left mine out in a snow/rainstorm ( literally ) so I am asking, is it waterproof?
Tuesday 2nd of February 2021
Hi, I am not sure about leaving it in rain and snow. Hopefully it's still working for you but it's not marketed as being that level of waterproof.