Thanks to cord-cutting, we now have an Amazon Fire TV and an Apple TV.
Amazon's Fire TV has been great, but the TV remote that came with it is tiny and slippery. Apple's Siri remote is also incredibly smooth and small.
Cord cutting is fantastic and I am looking forward to writing more about it in the future, but it has led to us getting rid of all our bulky remotes and simplifying to using these small ones.
I love the simplicity and aesthetics of both remotes, but they get lost easily.
Especially if you have little kids like mine who take them and drop them somewhere, then act clueless when you can't find the remote.
We also have a giant sectional couch, and our TV remote has been getting lost in the couch weekly, if not more.
I've spent months losing it, going without it a bit, finding it, and then going through it all again.
This weekly occurrence has led to me yelling at the TV, the remotes, and whoever I thought might have been the last person to lose it, I am only sort of kidding.
Once I finally had enough, I got on Amazon looking to buy a TV remote replacement and found remote covers that fit these tiny remotes perfectly. I can't believe I didn't know about these. I bought this one and I love it.
Not only is it bright, which makes it easy to see when dropped under the couch, but mostly it's not getting dropped anymore because the rubber cover is thick and gripping.
This is the perfect solution to the missing remote problem.
These can be bought for the Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV's Siri remote, and Roku TV.
They come in many different colors and styles and packs of two or more.
I also included an updated Siri remote case below with an option for an AirTag, so you will not lose this remote again.
Information from the remote cover manufacturer
Remote cover for Amazon Fire TV
Fintie CaseBot Silicone Case for Amazon Fire TV Stick Voice Remote, Compatible with Amazon Echo / Echo Dot Alexa Voice Remote - Honey Comb Series [Anti Slip] Shock Proof Cover
- Fit 5.9 Inch Amazon 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick with 1st Gen Alexa Voice Remote, Fire TV 4K with 1st Gen Alexa Voice Remote, Previous Generation 5.5-Inch Voice Remote and Amazon Echo/Echo Dot Alexa Voice Remote.
- Made of durable impact-resistant silicone. Excellent grip thanks to the rubber-like silicone material and honey comb pattern.
- Kids friendly and light weight, provides the maximum protection, anti-slip, anti-dust, shock proof and washable.
- Full access to all ports, buttons and functions, custom cutting on the case allows all functions of the remote are open for use.
- Available in a variety of bright and fun colors.
There are other brands available beside this one and while they might be fine too, I actually researched this company to make sure they are legit (yep, even on a cheap purchase like this).
I love this TV remote cover so much I am thinking about buying a few more to have when I want to switch out colors.
Remote cover for Apple TV
Fintie Protective Case for Apple TV 4K 5th, 4th Gen Remote - Casebot (Honey Comb Series) Lightweight (Anti Slip) Shock Proof Silicone Cover for Apple TV Siri Remote Controller, Orange
- Specially designed for Apple TV 4K (5th Generation) / 4th Generation Siri Remote contorller
- Full access to all ports, buttons and functions, custom cutting on the case allows all functions of the remote are open for use
- Kids friendly and light weight, provides the maximum protection, anti-slip, anti-dust, shock proof and washable
- Package included: Fintie Protective Case ( TV and Siri Remote are not included )
- Available in a variety of bright and fun colors
Spigen Apple TV remote cover compatible with AirTag
I originally wrote this article way before this excellent product was available but now there is a case available that allows you to put an AirTag in it.
This way if you lose your remote you will definitely be recovering it easily.
This case is a little bulkier and heavier since it has room for an air tag. It also has a cord attached to it and is only compatible with the newer Apple TV Siri remote.
We have moved almost exclusively to Apple TVs in our house, and this remote cover is now my absolute favorite. It will not get lost!
Spigen Silicone Fit Designed for Apple TV 4K 2021/2022 Siri Remote Anti-Slip Shockproof Case Compatible with AirTag - Black
About this item
- Constructed with silicone material for a smoother texture that is anti-slip, anti-scratch, and protects your remote.
- Slim design with precise cutouts that give you complete control of the remote and keep it like new.
- Anti-Lost Functionality: Insert your AirTag inside to easily find your remote anywhere.
- Avoid losing and dropping your remote with the included wrist strap.
- Compatible ONLY with the 2021/2022 Apple TV 4K Siri Remote (2nd Gen/3rd Gen) and the Apple AirTag. Siri Remote and AirTags are NOT included.
There is a cover for Roku remotes too. You can find it here!
Other solutions for the missing remote problem
If for some reason you don't like either of these covers or don't want a cover at all on your remote you do have a few other options.
You can take velcro and attach it to your remote and then put velcro somewhere where you would like to place your remote daily. This could be on your TV, TV stand, the wall, anywhere really.
Buy a remote holder, something like this. If you have several remotes to keep track of there are holders you can buy and put on your couch or coffee table.
Or you can get a remote holder which attaches to the TV or wall like this one.
Attach the small remote to a larger remote (if you need one) with rubber bands.
If you lost your Apple TV remote for good there is an Apple app for your phone which you can use as your remote. We have actually done this a lot.
Otherwise you will need to buy a new one if it is lost for good.
I have also lost my Fire TV remote before and we own a couple of them now.
All of my remotes now have a cover on them though and we lose them much less now.
Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these covers.
Plus, tell me how do you handle the missing TV remote problem?
Read on for more solutions to TV problems with little kids, like protecting the flat screens from them.