My absolute favorite kids tablet hands down is the Amazon Fire HD tablets.
I have been through several Fire HD tablets for my two oldest children in the last several years.
Not because there is anything wrong with them, but because I love them, and have wanted to upgrade frequently to take advantage of new features.
I had the original Fire HD (I believe back then it was called a kid's Kindle) and then I upgraded to the Amazon Fire HD 7 tablet version, then bought two of the Fire HD 10 Kids Editions for my two oldest children.
And, most recently I have purchased the Fire HD 10 Kids Edition Tablet – 10.1” 1080p full HD display, 32 GB for my youngest.
Yep, she got the newest and the best. Sometimes waiting pays off.
The case on this one is also an upgrade with a built in stand.
I cannot tell you how much my children have used random objects to prop their tablets up.
Now this one does it on its own. It's a nice feature of the case I wouldn't have thought I needed.
Amazon has also recently created a new product called the Fire HD 10 Kids Pro tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, ages 6–12, 32 GB, Doodle.
Read on my for my review of the Fire HD 10 and what is the same and different between the HD 10 Kids and the HD 10 Kids Pro.
Read my review of the older fire tablets here.
Here's what I LOVE about the Fire HD 10 Kids Edition Tablet
My reasons I believe this is the BEST Amazon kid tablet you can get for a toddler or young child:
- The kid proof case and 2 year worry free guarantee. Out of five tablets over the years, I have had to use the worry free guarantee three times, and each time it was easy and with no issues.
- The included 1 year of Kids+ subscription which gives us access to thousands of apps. And it's all child appropriate and I really do not have to worry about what my kids are downloading.
- The parental controls. I can control everything for each of my children's profiles from any of the devices.
- I can give the kids access to Netflix or YouTube, or whichever apps I want them to have. They cannot access them without my permission however.
- I love my Apple products for me, but when it comes to a tablet for children I really do prefer the Fire HDs to the iPad. There is so much more parental control, and it's much more affordable. It's more affordable for the tablet itself, and for the content with the included Free Time Unlimited.
The features I mention above are available on all the Fire HDs.
Here is what I love about the Fire HD 10 tablet specifically:
- It has the nicest screen yet in terms of size and specs. 10" does seem large for a child ,and I had to get used to it at first.
- I now love it because I have my first grader using it for her class reading apps and homework, and it really can replace a laptop for her at this age.
- The 10 has the longest battery yet. It lasts much longer than our previous 7 version.
- The storage is 32 GB right off with the ability to expand it. Our first Fire tablet was set at 8 GB and filled up quickly. Being able to expand the storage is critical.
Here is some information from Amazon about the Fire HD 10 tablet:
- Save up to $99 on a full-featured tablet (not a toy) for kids ages 3–7 that includes 1 year of Amazon Kids+, parental controls, a Kid-Proof Case, and 2-year guarantee, versus items purchased separately.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee and Kid-Proof Case included. If it breaks, return it and we’ll replace it for free.
- The included 1 year of Amazon Kids+ gives families access to over 20,000 books, popular apps and games, videos, songs, Audible books, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Easy-to-use parental controls allow you to filter content and set educational goals and time limits.
- Parents can give kids access to more apps like Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube via the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
- Features an octa-core processor, 3 GB RAM, 10.1" 1080p Full HD display, dual cameras, USB-C (2.0) port, and up to 1 TB of expandable storage. Screen made with strengthened aluminosilicate glass. Amazon Kids+ includes thousands of Spanish language books, videos, apps, games, and Audible books.
- Features a USB-C (2.0) port and includes a USB-C cable and 9W power adapter in the box.
For customers who already have a subscription to Amazon Kids+, your active subscription will be automatically replaced as soon as you activate a new Fire Kids Pro tablet, and you’ll receive one year of Amazon Kids+ from that time.
I cannot recommend the Fire HD Kids Edition enough.
I have been happy with all my versions over the years and this one is my favorite so far.
Amazon's support has always come through for me if I have any issues.
With Prime you can always return it anyway if you are not happy, so check it out now!
All-new Fire HD 10 Kids tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, ages 3–7, 32 GB
Fire HD 10 Kids Pro tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, ages 6–12, 32 GB, Doodle
Amazon also now has another kids tablet called the Fire HD 10 Kids Pro. Here are the full specs from Amazon:
- Save up to $99 on a full-featured tablet (not a toy) designed specifically for kids ages 6–12 that includes 1 year of Amazon Kids+, parental controls, a slim case, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee, versus items purchased separately.
- Features an octa-core processor, 3 GB RAM, 10.1" Full HD display, dual cameras, USB-C (2.0) port, and up to 1 TB of expandable storage. Screen made with strengthened aluminosilicate glass.
- School-age kids will enjoy a 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids+ that unlocks over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, songs, and Audible books. They'll find educational content from National Geographic, Rabbids Coding, LEGO, and others, plus more than 9,000 titles for kids ages 6 and up. After 1 year, your subscription will automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel anytime by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- In addition to Kids+ content, Kids Pro tablets include access to a digital store. Kids can request apps, while parents approve purchases and downloads. Plus, parents can add access to more apps like Minecraft and Zoom.
- The web browser comes with built-in controls designed to help filter out inappropriate sites and let parents add or block specific websites at any time.
- Stay in touch – Kids can send announcements and make voice and video calls over wifi to approved contacts with an Alexa-enabled device or the Alexa app.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee and slim Kid-Friendly Case included. If it breaks, return it and we’ll replace it for free.
What is the difference between the Fire HD Kids and the Fire HD Kids Pro?
The tech specs on the tablet are the same.
The main differences between the two are a more streamlined less childish case on the pro, and more content access.
Kids have access to a digital store where they can request access to items and parents can approve it.
One thing I have always loved about the Fire tablets is all the parental control.
I admit the Fire HD Pro is very appealing looking, and the updated content for ages 6-12 is probably better for my older children going forward.
All three of my kids currently use Kids Fire 10's but when they are ready to upgrade we will go with the Pro version.
The cost is the same but there are deals frequently so I will keep checking prices.