I have seen a few people post questions on the internet asking about their Peloton Heart Rate Monitor not working.
When I bought my Peloton bike I got the works package with it which included a bike mat, shoes, heart rate monitor, weights, and headphones.
I do think the package was worth it because I got a special on it at the time (hint, this special comes around black Friday and the holidays).
One piece of the package - the heart rate monitor, is something I previously used with the bike all the time.
I got my bike in early 2017 and back then the Peloton heart rate monitor was the best way for me to monitor my heart rate.
The bike now pairs with the Apple watch so this is how I monitor my heart rate currently.
I will write a seperate post on pairing the Peloton and Apple watch soon.
But the original Peloton heart rate monitor can lose connection sometimes. Back when it was my main monitor I had to troubleshoot it and call support a few times.
If you are trying to get the original Peloton heart rate monitor connected, read on below.
Peloton uses ANT+ or bluetooth to connect heart rate monitors
A little more about ANT+
ANT+ is a wireless protocol for monitoring sensor data such as a person's heart rate or a car's tire pressure. ANT+ is designed and maintained by the ANT+ Alliance which is owned by Garmin. It is based on the ANT protocol.
Source - Wikipedia.
How to use the Peloton heart rate monitor
Make sure you have the heart rate monitor positioned on your body and ready to go.
There is a heart rate monitor connection on the bike.
It is found by joining a class, or by tapping on the time in the top right corner of the touchscreen and choosing "heart rate monitor".
Troubleshooting a Peloton heart rate monitor that stops working
- First check the bluetooth connection to your bike. Even though the Peloton heart rate monitor uses ANT+ to display your heart rate, it still needs to be connected by bluetooth as well.
- This was not intuitive to me and ended up being my problem. Even though they were connected originally, I had an update run and they then became disconnected. So, try connecting bluetooth again as this seems to be the most common issue.
- If your bluetooth connection is still showing but your heart rate monitor is not working, I would still try disconnecting and connecting again to completely rule it out.
- The next obvious item to check is the battery. I replaced my batteries while troubleshooting but they did not end up being my issue. Still, they run out at some point.
- To save battery life unsnap the plastic piece from the band when not riding. When the battery is starting to run out I notice extremely inaccurate heart rate information on the bike so this will give you some idea when it's about to happen.
- The next item to check is the connection on your chest. Knowing how to wear the Peloton heart rate monitor is key. I found as a woman right under my chest was best. Wet the connection pads, this is important, or it won't work. Adjust the monitor around on you till you see it show up connected. The less it moves during a ride the better so I make mine pretty snug.
These are the most common issues I see come up with the Peloton heart rate monitor. If it's still not working for you then it may be faulty and you can call Peloton support. They were ready to send me a new one if I could not get mine working.
Peloton heart rate monitor battery
If you need to check the batteries or replace the battery you can remove it from the back of the heart rate monitor.
The Peloton heart rate monitor uses a 3V Lithium batteries number CR2032.
How to turn the Peloton heart rate monitor on or off
The monitor does not actually turn on and off, but when connected to the strap it is using the battery.
Peloton recommends removing the monitor from the strap when not in use to preserve the battery.
Alternatives to the Peloton Heart Rate Monitor
If you decide you are done with chest straps and would rather have an arm band this one from Schosche has rave reviews and does work with the Peloton bike.
Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband - Optical Heart Rate Armband Monitor with Dual Band Radio ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart
It seems to be one of the most popular heart rate monitors to use with the bike according to the many Peloton groups where I participate.
This is another popular alternative to the peloton monitor.
My husband has this one for his outdoor cycle and also uses it with the Peloton and loves it.
I have heard Garmin heart rate monitors also work well with the Peloton Bike.
Apple Watch now pairs with the Peloton bike
I will write a new post on how to pair them but it is really easy.
This is what I use now since I always wear my Apple watch anyway.
Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these heart rate monitors.